You may currently have a dark, unfinished basement that feels dull and uninteresting, but with a basement remodel, your basement can be transformed into a bright, inviting place to enjoy life! Picture yourself entertaining in a fun and refreshing space, or renting it out for additional income. Add value to your home, and enjoy a high return on investment (ROI) when it comes time to sell.
Discover how you can add classic upgrades and custom touches to unlock the potential of the area right under your feet — your basement.
Define Your Vision for Your Basement
When remodeling your basement, begin by getting clear about your dreams for the space.
- Add bedrooms—Is your family growing? This is a perfect place to expand your usable square footage.
- Create a rental space—Why not create extra income with the room beneath you? We can help make this possible.
- Design a mother-in-law suite—If your parents need to move in with you, the basement is a great place to give them their privacy, while you remain close by.
- Make a kid-friendly playroom—Children love room to play and explore new things. Renovating with them in mind will give them freedom (particularly on cold, rainy days) and inspiration to express themselves with art and crafts, enjoy board games, and more.
- Construct a home cinema for recreation—Take time to enjoy life together—and “go to the movies” at home!
- Fashion an extra living space for entertaining and relaxation—The vibe you can create with the elements in your basement gives a unique draw to the space.
- Design a home gym or fitness center—Imagine how healthy you and your family can become with a gym right at your fingertips!
- Construct a relaxing sauna or spa—Because you deserve luxury, maybe it’s time to add the spa you’ve been dreaming of.
- Build a place for the enjoyment of your hobbies—Design a room that inspires you to excel in your hobbies: scrapbooking, photography, playing an instrument, painting, dancing, writing, or more!
Brighten Up Your Basement with a Fresh Remodel
How do you turn an unfinished basement into a bright, attractive space? First deal with any moisture issues and repairs; then transform your basement with these ideas:
1. Add Natural Light and Task Lighting
Basements are usually screaming for more light, so if you are able to install windows big enough for emergency exit codes, go for it! If your basement has above-ground access, add a sliding glass door to bring in sun and breezes! Cut back any outside bushes that impede sunlight. The added natural light will bring a refreshing feel to the space.
Add accent or task lighting to boost the space’s character and function while brightening it up. Recessed bulbs fit right into your ceiling, don’t cast shadows, and work in just about any space. Track lighting brightens your basement and adds personality too. Accent features like table lamps, floor lamps, wall sconces, and task lamps work together to make your space well-lit and enjoyable.
2. Brighten up the Basement Walls and Ceiling
Paint the walls and trim in light colors to brighten the space. If you have wood paneling, paint it with a cool neutral hue like white or soft gray — or replace it with drywall and add light-colored paint. Use a fresh coat of off-white paint on the ceiling.
3. Install Lots of Reflective Surfaces
When you add features that reflect light, it will brighten the room. Look for attractive remodeling materials such as large wall mirrors, glass tabletops, glossy tile, glossy countertops, metal light fixtures, and metal photo frames.
4. Raise Your Ceiling or Lower Your Basement Floor
Low ceilings can make a basement feel small and confined (and unwelcoming!). If your basement’s ceiling isn’t high enough, you could either raise it or lower the flooring to create a higher ceiling in the finished basement. By digging out a deeper basement, with the help of a reputable contractor, you’ll create an appealing space where you can do just about anything.
5. Organize and Unclutter
Too many homeowners store random things in their basement to get them out of sight. This habit creates unwanted clutter that makes the space uninviting. Everything should have a place in which to live.
Create an enclosed storage area under your stairs if possible, so items used in the basement can be put away out of sight to keep the space looking crisp and uncluttered. This can also act as a place to store seasonal décor.
6. Go with an Open Concept
Too many walls create more dark space, so an open floor plan is a wise idea when remodeling. Choosing an open concept layout will create a brighter, more attractive space.
7. Maximize Space
If your finished basement has a half wall hiding unattractive basement necessities, use the wall ledge as a picture gallery to personalize the space.
8. Practical Basement Flooring
One innovative idea for basement flooring is floating (not glued down) cork flooring. It’s a better choice than carpet — which can harbor bacteria in underground spaces. Cork is sustainable and waterproof!
Achieve the Basement Renovation of Your Dreams
With a fresh remodel, your basement can be as inviting as the rest of your home. At Distinctive Homes, our team can help you achieve the renovation of your dreams with a full basement redesign. We give you options — from financing to products — and we help you compare them so you can decide what’s best for you, and what will give you the best return on investment for your home.
Take a moment to learn more about how our basement remodeling services can enhance your home and lifestyle.